On 6/11/06, gentuxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How do I know what is out of tree, and thus what needs to be rebuilt
when I recompile my kernel?  I'm using an older ATI Rage128
All-in-Wonder (with the TV tuner), and through this process, I've
re-emerged the ati-drivers.  But, is there an easy way to tell what
else *should* be recompiled?

You can 'emerge module-rebuild' and run that after each kernel
upgrade.  Although the typical symptom of needing to rebuild an
out-of-tree module is that something breaks on reboot! :->

For example, if have the 'fglrx' driver in your xorg.oconf, then you
are using ATI's proprietary driver, and when you upgrade to a new
kernel and reboot X will fail to start until you re-merge ati-drivers.
But if you are using the open source 'ati' or 'radeon' drivers, you
will not have a problem.

So module-rebuild is really meant to be run immediately after updating
the kernel, but before you reboot.

HTH,
-Richard