On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:

> I was wondering what gentoo-users think and practice about kernel
> modules.  Do most compile them in the kernel or load them at boot-up.
>
> Note that I'm _NOT_ talking about those modules that have to be compiled
> in such as for your filesystem. This is about the other ones.
>
> I generally like to load them at boot-up.  One reason is that I have
> heard that for suspend or hibernate to work, some modules have to be
> unloaded.
>
> On the other hand, compiling them in results in faster boot times.
>
> So, what do gentoo-users think?
>
> Tony

I have never used any modules that I didn't have to. At this point, I use
none. They are all compiled into the kernel, because I don't have a point
to unloading or loading. The only point for modules in any of my
experience is if you're often changing hardware (possibly a laptop with a
base station... or something?)