You might want to check out the following ntp.conf options depending on
your network link - in particular the panic 0 option or the commandline
version '-g'

tinker panic 0 huffpuff 7200

The huffpuff value seems to help on a loaded broadband connection, and I
found it a must on a modem.  The panic value stops ntp from dropping out
when too great a difference occurs between network and local time (your
original problem I think) - it will step, whereas without it it will
run, but refuse to update the time, or in some cases die.

BillK