On 6/16/06, Catalin Trifu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        Hi,

    I am planning to buy a new machine and lately I was thinking about
a AMD64 X2 4800+ 2GB RAM.
    Is it worth to install 64bit linux or should I go for 32. As I have read
there are issues with video stuff, flash player.
    This machine is for work and entertainment. I don't like the idea of a
32bit chroot if it's too much of a hassle to set it up.

Just from the technical side of things, AMD64 architecture is fully
compatible with 32-bit applications.  You can install a 32-bit app in
a 64-bit OS (but not the other way around : (

I'd suggest the amd64 OS, though if you can't decide, I'd just throw
in the towel and dual-boot.

Also, using a 64-bit app is only going to get you about a ten percent
performance increase, according to benchmarking studies of people with
more money than I have.  It's ultimately up to you, but if I were you,
I'd take the adventurous route and go 64-bit - just for the heck of
it.  However, I don't know enough about your wants and needs to be
able to reccommend something like that.

Do what you want: that's the entire point.  I can only supply
information, not make the choice for you (unless you'd like me to, but
I can't guarantee that I can help if something goes wrong).