On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:52:51 +0000, Mick wrote:

> I haven't found a use for keeping the old KDE next to a new slotted
> version, so I unmerge the old one after the new installation is
> successfully completed.

You have just given a use for having the two side by side. Without
slotting, you'd have to remove the old version before using the new one.
For example, first kdelibs 3.5 is installed and 3.4 removed, then
kdebase, etc. Meanwhile you try to use KMail, which is still at 3.4, and
it won't work because its libs have gone.

--
Neil Bothwick

Seduced by the Chocolate side of the Force...