Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:43:11 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Pavel appears to be suggesting that I un-emerge the current
>> xorg-server.  Then install the nvidia stuff and then using his
>> package.mask, reinstall xorg-server.
>
> All you need to do is add the relevant lines to package.mask and do
> "emerge --update world". This will downgrade xorg to the latest unmasked
> version. Then you can stop X, emerge the nvidia drivers and restart X.

Apparently that is not `All'.

After adding the mask stuff that Hermman posted a link to.  Things were
emerged successfully.  I now have the downgraded version of
xorg-server.

I've emerged nvidia-kenel and nvidia-glx.
I ran eselect opengl set nvidia.

No error output anywhere so far.

I did xorgconfig and tried to start X off of that.  But it fails with
errors that indicate something more wrong than just which driver to
load.  But before showing them I also tried to modprobe nvidia just to
make sure it was present... I get errors there too:

root # modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r9/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

Before going into the whole xorg log file, I'll just post the errors
from running startx...  They appear to indicate that having had the
newer xorg-server I still have some stuff left from it or something
similar:

(EE) module ABI minor version (6) is newer than the server's version
(5)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) module ABI minor version (6) is newer than the server's version
(5)
(EE) Failed to load module "kbd" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in
your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in
your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX
module.  If
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r9/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found