Hi,
I am running an ~x86 system and yesterday I did an emerge world, all went well
until the next time I booted. kdm ran but the screen just had a flashing
loggin box.  I could not even get another terminal using alt F1-F7. So I am
faced with not being able to loggin at all.  This raises a few questions
about my own inadequacies :-
1. What is the correct procedure to recover a system in this state?  What
tools do I need?
2. I have an rsynced backup on an external usb harddrive, but unless I can
loggin how can I restore the files from the backup?
3. It appears that a freetype update was the cause of this failure, but this
information was hard to find on the forum's (I was lucky). I had an old
installation cd and chroot'ed and emerged the previous version of freetype,
rebooted and all is well (I hope).
4. How can an update like this get into ~x86 tree when it plainly causes a
major problem?  I wonder if I should revert to just x86.

Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux