I found a solution and I have posted it at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_Install_a_USB_scanner#.22The_above_udev_rules_are_wrong..22.

If anybody who knows their hotplug and udev stuff better than I do could
take it upon themselves to correct the usb scanner howto itself
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_a_USB_scanner), which is very
confusing and misleading, I'm sure there will be good few people out
there who will be very grateful to you. (And not just Gentoo users --
there is a real lack of up-to-date usb scanner documentation out there.)

Robert

--

bokuwa ongakka, dentaku katateni