Bob Sanders wrote:

sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 0:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

Ah, but the problem is that it only thinks there is one type of drive.
One of the above drives should show as a DVD capable drive.  Not just
as a CD-ROM/ writer.

I realize this, and I may tackle it again, when I am ready.

Brought system down, reconnected the sata dvd unit and after power up,
both units are now working. In fact the dmesg statements are from the
working config, though it was the same when it was not working.

I wonder if the SCSI cable was not quite seated or had oxidized pins?

This system runs more then one OS, and the other 2 have had no problems.

                                Sean