On 6/29/06, Leonardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I have a laptop with a touchpad, and was wondering if it's
possible to use it as a sort of 'cheap' graphic tablet.

I've tried, no success.

As it should be possible to configure the threshold pressure to
detect the touch, maybe it's even possible to have not only
position, but also pressure detection, similarly to what happens
for graphic tablets.

That's one of the technologies used.
http://www.synaptics.com/technology/cps.cfm

If you think carefully, you must use something that provides
capicitance for it to work, so, a pen or anything like that should not
work.

Has anybody tried to use it in this way (maybe with Gimp)?

I've posted in foruns, where most of the time it was taken as a joke
;) but I only have my synaptic notebook touchpad, maybe another one
(I've heard some sense heat, others sense pressure only) can work.

Its way easier and not that expensive (but still expensive) to buy a tablet.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil