Let's just say that Googling for a solution is hard when you don't
have X.  I could've unhooked my monitor from my main machine and
switched to my backup machine, but it's a hassle.  Anyhow, I did manage
to find the solution in Google using w3m instead of Firefox.  The Q and
A is...
Question 4.4: I tried to emerge the drivers, but it didn't work. The
error message was "cannot find -lGL"
As root, do this:    opengl-update xfree / opengl-update xorg-x11

   emerge ati-drivers

   opengl-update ati

  I emerged ati-drivers, and the rest of the build is now running, so at
least that item has been solved.  I did some warnings when building
ati-drivers.  Anybody know what the significance of the following is?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg
 * To switch to ATI OpenGL, run "opengl-update ati"
 * To change your xorg.conf you can use the bundled "aticonfig"
 * Updating module dependencies for 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 ...
WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol
inter_module_unregister
WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol
inter_module_get_request
WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol
inter_module_put
WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol
inter_module_register                                                         [
ok ] * Adding module to moduledb.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca