Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> At Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:10:19 -0400 Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> The web based administration interface for cups appears to be missing.
>> I just installed the unstable version today to fix the libpng problem.
>>
>> When I browse   http://localhost:631/help    I receive
>>
>> Not Found
>> The requested resource was not found on this server.
>>
>> I haven't used this interface in a while so I can't say for sure it
>> was due to the upgrade to unstable.
>>
>> I can say that the man page for cups-config does include
>> SEE ALSO
>>      http://localhost:631/help
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>> allan
>>

> Oops.  I spoke too soon, but do have a question.
>
> I had done an etc-update and took the new config (which specifically now
> enables listening on 631).
>
> I tried /etc/init.d/cupsd restart    but it failed ( [??] )
>
> Then did /etc/init.d/cupsd zap; /etc/init.d/cupsd start both of which
> succeeded.  At this point I could *not* access localhost:631.
>
> However, a reboot fixed this.
>
> I am fairly sure a reboot should not be required (and the elog doesn't
> mention one).  What did I do wrong?
>
> Sorry for jumping to conclusions in my first msg.
>
> allan

I have ran into things like this with services before.  This is how I
do.  I stop the service, /etc/init.d/<name> stop.  Then I make sure it
is not still running somewhere.  ps aux | grep <name>  If nothing comes
up but the grep command then it is not running.  If something does come
up then you need to kill it.  I usually do killall <name>.  If all is
well, then zap it and restart the service.  It should be a clean start.

The only time you should have to reboot Linux is to start up a new
kernel.  Only windoze requires all that.  I had a uptime of almost 10
months a while back and everything but the kernel was updated.  I had
done a emerge -e world at least twice.

Hope that helps.

Dale
:-)  :-)