On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 06:30:39 +0100
Graham Murray wrote:

> "W.Kenworthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > yes I hit it too - back before it hit stable.  It seemed that going xorg
> > modular is a one way trip as you cant remove modular xorg easily unless
> > you keep an independent record of every package installed.  I was pissed
> > because modular didnt work and I couldnt uninstall it!  Eventually
> > updates caught up with and fixed the problem, but in the meantime I had
> > an unusable system.  I realised the problem when I coulnt even downgrade
> > from 7.1 to 7.0 - this loss of control is a major pita with modular X.
>
> Maybe what is needed is an enhancement to portage to allow the removal
> of a meta-package to (optionally) also remove the 'real' packages
> which it caused to be installed.

ummmm think about this.

new system, no gui installed.

I install kde-meta, which installs xorg-x11 as a dependency.

I decide I want gnome, I install gnome which doesn't install xorg,
because it is already installed.

I decide I do not want kde because i prefer gnome. I unsinstall
kde-meta. Under your scheme it would also uninstall xorg-x11. But that
is not what you want!