Jarry wrote:
kashani wrote:

Does bind write logs about its activities somewhere?
Should it be in /var/log, or /chroot/dns/var/log?

Bind is like Apache in that it does its own logging. Here's my config with all named logs split out into their own files. Just change the paths to something local in your chroot.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_DNS_Server_with_BIND#Logging_conf

Thanks for pointing me to the right place.
So many log-files? I hope I can reduce it somehow...
But I am surprised that bind does not do logging
"right of the box", like apache...

In an ISP setting having the logs broken out like that made it easier to troubleshoot things. Also made it easier to estimate the number of lookups per second or tail the general.log for errors without having to see all the queries or lame servers.

Bind may log right out of the box, but it would depend on the configuration in your named.conf. I've been using my confs for a few years and haven't looked at the Gentoo default lately.

kashani