An option for ports that don't need to be open constantly (like 80 & 443) is to use net-misc/knockd.
Portknocking allows a port to be opened on demand in response to a series of attempted port opens.
There's a wiki page on it here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Port_Knocking.
Note, if he is on the same LAN as you or the machine you're trying to secure, this will only slow him down, not stop him. (he can sniff packets and determine the knock sequence.)

dcm

On 7/6/06, Daniel da Veiga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/6/06, Lord Sauron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/5/06, Ryan Tandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Steven Susbauer wrote:

> > > What's this? Portage on Windows?
> >
> > More just to mention that there is such a thing out there.  And if it
> > exists for us, chances are he has a similar tool available.
>
> However, if you block his mac without an error message, then he can't
> know how you're identifying him to block him.  He probably won't know
> what to do, and just might give up then.  Worth a try, if nothing
> else.

Yeah, that's pretty much true. For a LAN. Doying it at the Internet
would most probably blacklist a entire subnet that's routed to you
with that MAC. So, not worth a try, it would be something more to
configure, and get you no benefit at all, while risking making your
machine invisible for people who could use the services you are trying
to securely provide.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil