Richard Fish wrote:

--snip
> I use dm-crypt on all
> my filesystems, so a very similar situation: my initramfs first mounts
> my root filesystem, and then chroot's into it.  The mount call from
> userspace is likely the difference.

A way out of the topic, but its a question that I want to ask.
What is the performance hit of using encrypted file system?
I hate laptops, but you never know ;-)

> I would suggest to try and duplicate it with an initrd/initramfs, and
> if it goes away, file a bug at bugs.kernel.org.  They might refuse a
> bug report with -ck sources, so you might have to report it with the
> maintainer of the -ck sources, or switch to vanilla for the testing.
> But either way it seems like a kernel bug to me...
>
> -Richard

Yep, I will try initramfs on the problematic PC tomorrow.

Bug-report...Well I'm very confused here. Isn't it Gentoo the right
place to file
a bug-report at? After all these sources get patched with gentoo
patches. I haven't
directly downloaded the sources from the maintainer or used vanilla with
ck-patches.
On the other hand gentoo people have masked these sources with "~" so they
could also refuse to take the report (unlikely,but..). Additionally I
remember I've
read somewhere that Gentoo maintainer(s) are not happy that people "jump
over"
them and send bug-reports directly to the mainstream developers who of
course
refuse to accept the report because Gentoo has patched their sources and
so on...

I'm really not sure what is the proper thing to do about this.

--
Best regards,
Daniel