> >   I think there's a mis-understanding here.  Gerhard and I are
> > complaining about config files being possibly *OVERWRITTEN* with default
> > settings.  If there's no config file, sure write the default config
> > file.  But if someone has customized a config file, assume that they
> > know what they're doing, and leave settings alone.
>
> That only happens if YOU do it. No config file is EVER changed without
> your permission by portage, if it does not exist, a default is copied,
> but if there's already one, no.

Sure and if Ihad lots of time I would do an emerge world every day just to
check a few files. Regretfully, with 5 servers, some 28 websites and some
other work too I don't have that daily time. So when I update my system I
have to go through pages full of diffs, checking every diff to see if,
besides all the settings returning to default, there are also changes that I
should be aware off. A wrong key is easily pressed and there you go..

And why? Yes I changed my settings and yes etc-update or dispatch-conf show me
carefully every moved point or comma. Thanks, but I know I changed those and
I did that on purpose. Untouched files are already on auto-pilot.
Show me what is added or removed. And since it can only do that by comparing
the new file to a clean, untouched, original file I innocently suggested to
have such a file, make changes there and leave it up to the admin to check if
settings are added or removed and deal with these changes in the active
config file.. And in that case don't bother showing the diff.. just tell me
which files have changed and *offer* to show the changes.
But don't touch my active configes.. not automatically, not ever..

Guess I'm just paranoid.. but then again, sometimes a healty amount of
paranoia keeps you out of a lot of troubles..

Gerhard

--
Ithaka photography, http://ithaka.mine.nu/