On 7/14/06, Korthrun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Heyyas,

     I'm running:
Xorg 7.0-r1
nvidia-kernel 1.0.8762
nvidia-glx 1.0.8762

     I've followed the guide at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml with the following
exceptions. I'm using a kernel.org kernel not a portage kernel, and I
didn't make the "changes" regarding framebuffers because I don't
intend to use one.That whole bit is disabled in my kernel.

    X starts up fine and looks great, I get decent FPS from glxgears.
While following the above guide I get to this point "Code Listing
2.19: Checking the direct rendering status" and end up with this:

glxinfo | grep direct
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No

    My Xorg.conf follows:
######Start xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen[0]" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "dbe"
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Buttons" "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
        HorizSync 30-70
        VertRefresh 50-180
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device[0]"
        Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen[0]"
        Device     "Device[0]"
        Monitor    "Monitor[0]"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group "video"
        Mode 0660
EndSection

######End xorg.conf

     I've tried it both with and without this last stanza regarding
DRI. I tossed it in there for giggles since I needed it with my ATI
card. One thing I haven't ventured to yet is recompilin xorg. When I
compiled it I did have VIDEO_CARDS set to radeon. Will this effect
xorg working with nvidia cards? What would the proper VIDEO_CARDS
setting be for a geforce 6800?

    Any suggestions/comments are very welcome. Thanks muchly.,

Korf
--
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
/\  vCards, and proprietary formats.

Well, I've now narrowed it down to permissions. I didn't install the
drivers off of nvidias site as they are the same version. Perusing the
nvidia linux forum I came across a post that made me want to do
glxgears again. I was root on that console due to just having emerged
something, and DRI works fine. I'm going to poke some stuff with chmod
and restart, but if any know what might be the difference that allows
root to do it I'd love to hear it.