Hi,
  I have some MythTV frontend machines that have been happily running
for about 15 months using what is now a pretty old kernel and
ati-drivers package. I am having trouble updating these machines since
neither the kernel or the ati-drivers ebuilds are available in portage
any more and, unfortunately, nothing that is in portage seems to boot
and work correctly.

  I wanted to know if I leave the kernel and ati-driver package alone
but upgrade to xorg-x11-7.0 will it work? Does xorg-x11-7+ force any
specific kernel requirement?

  I've already found that the one ati-driver that does work doesn't
seem to like any of the kernels in portage that I've tried.

  Please note that the issue here is that I need these Pundit-R
machines to use the S-Video outputs and not the normal VGA output. If
anyone else out there is using Pundit-R's with newer kernels and
drivers I'd love to know about it. I don't care one way or the other
about ati-drivers vs. xorg drivers. It matters not to me.

Thanks,
Mark