Am Donnerstag, 20. Juli 2006 06:56 schrieb Ryan Tandy:
> Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Well, I think I got the conecpt behind meta packages. My question was
> > why do I get a different content of the VIDEO_CARDS-variable when I
> > specify "-k" in emerge or not???
>
> You can't change the USE flags a binary package was built with.  Binary
> packages are built with a certain set of flags, and they're stuck with
> that set of flags until you recompile the whole thing.

OK, thats pretty obvious.

> I'd recommend you emerge --nodeps xorg-x11 in order to change its
> USEflags to the ones you want (no compilation necessary), and then
> emerge -k to pull in the binary packages depended on by its new flags,
> which will save you the compiling time.
>
> HTH.

Nope, doesn't work. Same problem. I emerged with --nodeps the xorg-x11
package, with exactly the video-cards I want. Then I've tried the -k as you
suggested, and still *ALL* other video-drivers are shown in the list, and
VIDEO_CARDS did not show the same content as without -k.

Greetings,
   Alex