Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:

> > looks good, but try this:
> > kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6

> Actually since you have a separate /boot filesystem, it would be more
> accurate to use:

> kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6

Yes both work. as well as what I decided to use

kernel (hd0.1)/kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r13 root=/dev/hda6

I like keeping the explicit kernel nanes around because
I test many different things across many different systems,
so as to not confuse myself and track kernel versions with
various patches  and drivers.

Why didn't the old syntax work? (separate partition for /boot)
kernel /kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r13
When it worked from the command line of grub?
It's also the syntax I use on many other systems.

Thanks Hemmann and Richard,

James