On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Bruno Lustosa wrote:

> I noticed that after the last upgrade to gnome-terminal, my TERM
> variable is set to 'gnome'.
> I think that's because the remote machines do not understand this kind
> of terminal, and so fall back to 'dumb' or something like that.
> What's the problem with leaving TERM=xterm when under gnome-terminal?
> Isn't this a fine standard for all X terminals? Is there a
> gnome-terminal configuration somewhere that lets me set the TERM that
> I want? I'll have a look at gconf.

gnome-terminal is actually doing things correctly at last. Only xterm
should use TERM=xterm. (except if your NOT-xterm terminal supports
_everything_ that xterm supports.  And pretty much no one does. xterm
is probably the most capable terminal and definitely not a least
common denominator.)

Sure it causes problems as most machines don't have proper settings
for all possible terminals, but that is a bug on that system.  You can
add the settings yourself (in your home directory).  Happily, I can't
remember _how_ you did this. ;-) I read a good document on this issue
somewhere but can't seem to locate it.  Very likely a pointer to it is
somewheres in this list's archives.

Mikko

--
Mikko Ruuska, R & D