On Sunday 23 July 2006 10:42, Trenton Adams wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I proposed this awhile back, and got shot down.  At the time, the
> arguments for using SVN for portage storage were pretty shallow, and
> someone was able to easily shoot them down.  I believe I have come up
> with better reasoning for using SVN.  Someone may still shoot them
> down, but hey, it's worth a try.
>
> PROBLEM 1
> Let's say openldap had a problem. So, we decide to mask the latest
> version of openldap, in an effort to roll back to the version that was
> working.  Well, we find out that openldap still does not work.  So, we
> finally determine that it is library W.  So, now we mask library W, in
> an attempt to roll back to the version that was working.  Oh no, now
> we find out that library W is used by 20 other packages, that require
> the latest version of library W in order to work.  So, now we have to
> mask library W, and 20 packages in order to get our openldap system
> functional, assuming you cared about the 20 other broken packages,
> which may break other packages, which may break yet other packages.

no, you don't. You put a dependency for libraryW version XY-working into the
openldap related ebuilds.

> Wouldn't it be nice to just go "emerge --revert-portage", which goes
> back to the last exported copy of the portage, that you had from
> subversion?  Boy, would that ever be convenient.  It would be simple
> enough to store a local history of portage tags that the user was
> using in the past.

why not do a normal emerge sync&& emerge -au world?
the updated openldap package will pull in the right library W, and if other
apps need library W+1, well that is where slots are used.

Your problem is none. It is solved every day within the portage tree. No svn
needed for that.

> PROBLEM 3
> Don't sync more than once a day, or you may be temporarily banned?
> Well, with SVN being tagged only once a day, there would be no need to
> worry about this, seeing that

you are banned because of the enormous waste of bandwidth if you sync every
odd hours. I don't see where svn would resolve that. Even if all mirrors
would only updated once a day (what a nightmare - a broken package may stay
for 24h or more in the tree, instead being replaced as soon as the dev
notices), there would be people syncing more than once in 24h.