On the off chance someone else gets this error the solution was :-

I for whatever reason [2 year old system] had not set my locale in
/etc/locale.gen
I did this and ran locale-gen and whoosh problem has gone away.

Only problem now is that I have migrated to firefox, ho hum what a choice :)

stu

ps. Firefox has come on a long way since last I used it.