Richard Fish wrote:
On 8/12/06, Andrew Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I placed "tcl" and "tcltk" into my USE variables and tried the reinstall
again, "emerge --newuse python", Tcl etc get called in and installed
with no problems, but then the  above problem hit again.

I don't think tcl/tk support is the problem.  But python-updater and
revdep-rebuild might help.

-Richard

Ran python-updater and now every time I try and run emerge, emerge --help, emerge --version, emerge --update etc, all I get output to the screen is "Segmentation fault" and then back to the command prompt. I can start up the Python interpreter and get it to print "Hellow World", the limit of my Python knowledge.

I can remmeber yesterday, before all of this started, emerging something and seeing some output saying that "-mcpu" was depricated and that I should use "-march". I changed that then subsequently did the emerge of python then the python-updater, now I get the "Seg fault" problem.

Now if I try to run python-updater I get an error about PORTDIR not existing, that I should run "portageq portdir" and see the output. I run this and I get the seg fault again.

Looks like I'm going to have to look into doing a manual rebuild of portage - bumma!!!

        Andrew