On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 14:52 +0000, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some time ago, I upgraded several systems I manage.
> First was the (painful) upgrade of kde-monolith
> to kde-meta. [1]
>
> Then the easier of the two xorg 6.8 to xorg 7.0. [2]
>
> I have kept these pacakges masked for a while on other systems,
> some of which I only get possession of sporadically for critical/huge
> upgrade.
>

> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Are these still the most updated urls?

AFAIK, yes. I also did both of these upgrades recently on a Dell
notebook (as well as the dreaded gcc 3.3 -> 3.4), and all three went off
without a hitch using those very howtos

> 2. Which should be performed first kde monolithic-->meta
> or Xorg to Xorg-modular?

Doesn't matter, they are independant. FWIW, I found the Xorg upgrade to
be far easier - unmerge 6.8, adjust USE, merge 7.0. I had some minor
tweaking to do with xorg.conf and ati-drivers, but nothing out of the
ordinary for a gentoo user :-)

The KDE upgrade was much more painful, mostly because I couldn't just
unmerge one package and merge another - I hadn't installed package "kde"
way back when, instead I had used kde-base, kde-network etc (about 7 in
total). Figuring out which -meta packages and which regular builds to
use took some time. The merges themselves went smoothly.

The worst was gcc though. I like to tinker with my box, so I took the
safe route with "emerge -e system ; emerge -e world" to be sure
everything would be rebuilt. It took 36 hours, eventually I had to run
it from a tty, niced to 10, so I could use the machine in the meantime

> 3. Is there any method to streamline/automate these tasks
> so that the machines compile the new software overnight, unattended?

Xorg is relatively quick to build, I think mine was an hour once the
emerge got going. KDE took several hours. But in both cases it was a few
minutes to do the unmerge, so I didn't see the need to automate it.

I would advise however that you quickpkg all relevant packages on the
machines, just in case, so that you can put them back if the unexpected
happens

alan