Phil Sexton schrieb:

I still don't understand why the script isn't supposed to be used to set hostnane/domainname though.

What script? /bin/domainname is not a script, but a binary. And it's
this binary, which sets the domainname. But as most users don't want
to run domainname manually all the time, there are ways to make
Gentoo call domainname. One of this ways is setting up /etc/conf.d/net.

Alexander Skwar
--
"You show me an American who can keep his mouth shut and I'll eat him."
                -- Newspaperman from Frank Capra's _Meet_John_Doe_