Alexander Skwar <listen <at> alexander.skwar.name> writes:

> You know, you can play your sniping game yourself. It's boring.

I apologize if I appear to be trolling.  That's not my intention at all; I'm
more likely just not getting something (happens fairly often).  If that's the
case, maybe you can help resolve (haha, punny) it.

According to you:
 - hostname should be set in /etc/hosts
 - domain name should be set in /etc/conf.d/net (i.e., NOT in /etc/hosts)

According to /etc/conf.d/net.example:
 - DNS settings can be specified either per-interface, or globally (lines 638
and 639)
 - for any DNS settings (fex dns_domain) to be specified, the dns_servers
setting *must* be specified as well (line 637) (is this the point I'm
misinterpreting?)

delta ~ # cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1     delta    localhost
delta ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_eth0=("dhcp")
dns_domain_eth0="mydomain.com"
delta ~ # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart > /dev/null
delta ~ # dnsdomainname
dnsdomainname: Unknown host

What have I misunderstood?