On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 01:52 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> 060819 David Corbin wrote:
> > I emerged a bunch of stuff this morning, and got this:
> > "Gentoo is moving toward common config file for all network interfaces.
> > I looked at /etc/conf.d/net.example & it's woefully unclear
> > how I port my /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 to the new file/format.
>
> Yes, the dox are not as detailed as they sb.
> To repeat my explanation to another troubled user a few weeks ago :

Philip,

Docs on /etc/conf.d/net are about as clear as mud from where I sit. The
last thing I need to figure out is what exactly is the difference
between config_eth0 and iface_eth0 entries?

config_eth0 simply does not work for me at all - if the net cable is not
plugged in, dhcp takes 60 seconds to time out.
But iface_eth0 realizes in less than a second that there is no network
cable and does the smart thing.

I once found a note in some other obscure doc that iface_eth0 seems to
be the syntax for ifconfig, while config_eth0 seems to be for iproute2.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

alan