On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 07:53:52PM +1000, Penguin Lover Alan E. Davis squawked:
> I have recently installed ubuntu on another partition in the mainly
> gentoo gateway laptop I've been running for over a year with great
> success.  I have never had any wireless problems, using the ipw2200
> centrino.  I've not changed kernels for a long while, still running
> 2.5.15 something.  Never a hiccough.

Upgrading your kernel might be a good idea.

> Then, after installing ubuntu, accessing a few access points, suddenly
> the module for ipw2200 won't install consistently, and I get an error,
> the most recent error was "-1" but there was another number earlier.

I take it that you are trying to install the net-wireless/ipw2200
package? (since it does not come built into the kernel until somewhere
around 2.6.8)

> Well, at school today, confounding all this, the wireless access
> points have now been set up with WPA keys.  Trying WEP keys with
> Ubuntu was unsuccessful, after failling w/ gentoo altogether.  Then
> when trying to run "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" again, as I've been
> doing, there is no happiness, and I tracked down this failure to load
> the module.  After a couple of tried, the module did, I think load,
> but because of the WPA setup, I cannot figure out how to access the
> net.  Back to ubuntu, back to gentoo---again module problems.  These
> are firmware problems, failture to load firmware, not the ipw2200
> module, sorry.

Which versions of firmware/ipw2200/kernel are you running here
exactly?

> Ubuntu too, I cannot figure out how to use the WPA key.

We should tackle one thing at a time. But have you looked at
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Wireless_Configuration_and_Startup

BOOK    ...Man had always assumed that he was more
intelligent than
        dolphins because he had achieved so much... the
wheel, New York,
        wars, and so on, whilst all the dolphins had ever
done was muck
        about in the water having a good time. But
conversely the
        dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent
than man for
        precisely the same reasons.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1 day, 19:57