I *don't* want to start some flamewar her, I am a newbie in this group,
and I just would like some info on how to do it right, as my extensive
rtfm'ing/googling/etc. has still not given me a satisfying answer.

I started my Gentoo-installation with CFLAGS containing -O3, believing
to do it right ...

Now I read about the fact that -O3 results in bigger binaries and isn't
at all guaranteed to give me a faster system. The bigger files result in
more load on IO, so this tells me that it puts the load on the
(relatively slow) 5400 rpm HDD I have in my laptop. OTOH I have "only"
512 MB RAM in there so it seems interesting to me to go the -O2 way of
doing Gentoo ...

Now the question:

Do I have to do "emerge -e --newuse world" on my system or what else
would be needed?

Is it worth the effort or should I prefer to spend the cpu-cycles on
re-emerging only the core-apps of my system? Or forget about it all and
enjoy my nice and shiny system as it is, simply editing make.conf to use
-O2 for any new emerges coming?

I am not asking this to get the "best result" in terms of speed or
performance, but to make sure that I don't break my system (which has
been backed up, sure, thanks ...).

Greets and thanks, Stefan.