On 8/21/06, Stefan G. Weichinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Acer TM 634
P4-M 1.8GHz (cpu family : 15, model : 2)
512 MB RAM
30 GB 5200 rpm HDD

It's all relative.  I have a 2.1Ghz Core Duo with 2G of RAM and a
160Gb HD, so *I* would consider your laptop, um, "underpowered".  :-)

But I also run with -Os.  The fact is that some things will run
slightly faster at -Os than -O2, and some things will be slightly
slower.  The same applies comparing -O3 to -O2, or -O3 to -Os; it all
depends on what you are doing at the moment.

So you should not assume that -O3 is faster for some random task just
because it is "more optimized".  It simply makes different trade-offs
than -O2 or -Os, and because of the way CPUs and caches work these
days, those trade-offs may help or hurt a particular segment of code.

FYI, in all of the tests I did, the performance was within 10% of the
median. The real deciding factor for me now is that -Os seems to take
much less time and memory to compile than -O2 or -O3.  And being a
~arch user, time-to-compile is a nice thing to reduce.

-Richard