On 8/23/06, michael higgins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a silly (I expect) question about the topic in the subject line. After (if and
when?) this completes -- as I've had to "emerge --resume --skip-first" a bunch
of times -- how will I be able to determine which packages failed so I may then attempt
to emerge them individually (or remove them from world)?

Search the package database for packages installed more than X days
ago.  To find everything that was last installed more than 3 days ago,
you can use:

cd /var/db/pkg
find ./ -name "*.ebuild" -mtime +3

# gcc-config -l
 [1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.3
 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6
 [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardened
 [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopie
 [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopiessp
 [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednossp
 [7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.0.3 *
 [8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1

...I didn't expect to compile [8]. I must have set my portage/package.* files
up incorrectly[?]

Um, oops.  4.0.3 is masked  by "missing keyword" for every arch except
~ia64.  Unless you have "-*" in  ACCEPT_KEYWORDS  or
/e/p/package.keywords, you should not have been able to install this.
FYI 4.1.1 is the current ~x86 version.

You should take a look at "emerge --info | grep KEYWORDS" and "grep
gcc /etc/portage/*".

Any suggestions? Should I choose [8] now? If so, will I then have to re-emerge
world and system?

Considering that you just recompiled your system with a gcc version
that the gentoo devs consider to be broken for your arch....yes, yes,
and yes. :-(

Now that sounds rather doomsday-ish, it probably really just means
there are a lot of things in the tree that will not build with it, and
not that it produces broken binaries.  But it is better to be safe on
this one.

-Richard