I'm trying to make my own ebuild of samba, jumping to latest release
23c.  After creating the overlay and moving the current 23a there
renamed as 23c.  I'd like to make ebuild use one custom ./conifigure
arg of my own creation.

When I step thru the ebuild process with:
  digest
  unpack
  compile

The compile part breaks on a tool called `torture' which is an
antiquated and little used part of samba.
  (The final protion of compile output is included at the end)

I'd like to just by pass building `torture' with ./configure
--without-torture or in some other way.  (Perhaps by finding what is
breaking it initially.)

When I tested by just running
    ./configure --without-torture

it seemed to be working but finally broke out with what looks like
stuff that expected torture to be built (partial error output at the
end)

Below are two separate pieces of compile error.  First is the result
of running ebuild.  Its kind of long but it was not apparent what was
important and the whole snippet is about `torture'

   digest
  unpack
  compile
The error came at the end of compile.  Below this snippet is a
separate snippet (thankfully shorter) where I tried to skirt
`torture'.

=======================
(From running ebuild [...] compile)

source -D_SAMBA_BUILD_
      LIBS = -lcrypt -lcap -lresolv -lresolv -lnsl -ldl
      LDSHFLAGS = -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic
      LDFLAGS =
      PIE_CFLAGS = -fPIE
      PIE_LDFLAGS = -pie
Compiling torture/rpctorture.c
torture/rpctorture.c:27: error: 'global_myname' redeclared as different kind of
symbol
include/proto.h:1122: error: previous declaration of 'global_myname' was here
torture/rpctorture.c:57: warning: 'struct client_info' declared inside
parameter list
torture/rpctorture.c:57: warning: its scope is only this definition or
declaration, which is probably not what you want
torture/rpctorture.c: In function 'rpcclient_connect':
torture/rpctorture.c:62: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:62: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:63: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:66: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:66: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:68: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:68: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c: At top level:
torture/rpctorture.c:90: warning: 'struct client_info' declared inside
parameter list
torture/rpctorture.c: In function 'run_enums_test':
torture/rpctorture.c:96: warning: passing argument 1 of 'rpcclient_connect'
from incompatible pointer type
torture/rpctorture.c:102: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:102: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c: At top level:
torture/rpctorture.c:134: warning: 'struct client_info' declared inside
parameter list
torture/rpctorture.c: In function 'run_ntlogin_test':
torture/rpctorture.c:140: warning: passing argument 1 of 'rpcclient_connect'
from incompatible pointer type
torture/rpctorture.c:146: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c:146: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
torture/rpctorture.c: At top level:
torture/rpctorture.c:167: warning: 'struct client_info' declared inside
parameter list
torture/rpctorture.c: In function 'main':
torture/rpctorture.c:233: error: storage size of 'cli_info' isn't known
torture/rpctorture.c:291: error: 'struct cli_state' has no member named 'pipes'
torture/rpctorture.c:377: error: 'scope' undeclared (first use in this function)
torture/rpctorture.c:377: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
torture/rpctorture.c:377: error: for each function it appears in.)
torture/rpctorture.c:535: warning: passing argument 5 of 'create_procs' from
incompatible pointer type
torture/rpctorture.c:539: warning: passing argument 5 of 'create_procs' from
incompatible pointer type
make: *** [torture/rpctorture.o] Error 1
 * rpctorture didn't build
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
>>> Source compiled.

Partial output from running ./configure --without-torture

[...]
Linking bin/locktest
Compiling torture/locktest2.c
torture/locktest2.c: In function 'test_one':
torture/locktest2.c:258: warning: passing argument 1 of 'brl_forall' from
incompatible pointer type
torture/locktest2.c:273: warning: passing argument 1 of 'brl_forall' from
incompatible pointer type
torture/locktest2.c:289: warning: passing argument 1 of 'brl_forall' from
incompatible pointer type
Linking bin/locktest2
Compiling torture/nsstest.c
Linking bin/nsstest