Shawn Singh wrote:
Running emerge --search portage tells me that the latest version of portage is 2.0.54 and the version I've got installed is 2.0.54. Is there something else that needs to be updated?

emerge --sync

The versions in your current portage tree, which I'd guess to be several months old, have been pulled and no longer exist on any of the servers.

BTW current version of portage is 2.1-r2. I'd sync and update portage itself followed by an emerge --metadata first before doing anything else. I would skip the gcc 4.1 and glibc 2.4 updates, which will show up after you sync, at this point.

kashani