quoth the Lord Sauron:
<snip>

> What should I do to fix Emacs?  I hear it's a very powerful and useful
> editor, and I would like to learn to use it (vi and/or its many
> variants is next on my list, so no emacs vs. vi wars please) so any
> assistance would be very helpful.

This is but a taste of the pain and suffering you will experience when you use
emacs. Just use vim already ;)

Seriously though...I am not familiar with emacs but I think your problem may
be solved in one of two ways

1. Configure emacs to use us-ascii as the default charset (no idea how).
2. Configure your console to use a unicode charset (see [1])

Just taking a shot in the dark here...

> Thanks for your time!

HTH

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml