From: Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: gkrellm ??? Only as daemon ???
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:55:05 +0200

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:28:30 +0200 (CEST)
> Meino Christian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > But: Why contains gkrellm's  default USE-flags "-X", so no gkrellm2 is
> > compiled?
> > I had to change package.use accordingly and recompiling makes gkrellm2
> > then.
>
> There are no ebuild specific default USE flags; it's your system
> (/etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/package.use) that hasn't "X" as a
> default USE flag (i.e. what you call "-X as default", but that
> inversion isn't actually 100% correct). You probably configured it that
> way.
>
> -hwh
> --

Hi Hans-Werner !

 thanks for your reply!

 If I set "X" by default in /etc/make.conf...what happens to programs,
 which simply doesn't know anything about "X" ... for example
 "basename" (...yes, I know, "basename" is an builtin in most
 shells...just an example).

 Will make.conf override /usr/portagte/<category>/<progrname>/*.ebuild
 ? If so, what happens, if the gentoo developpers have set "-X"
 intentionally in the *ebuild file and I have set "X" (globally!) in
 make.conf.

 Currently I am a little anxious to set "X" (or unset it or set/unset
 any other USE flag in make.conf due to its global character).

 On the other side I dont like to compile qt three times for example,
 due of missing USE flags...(initial compilation, openssl was
 missing, opengl was missing).

 (*NO* cristism on the gentoo people intended !!! :)

 Keep hacking!
 mcc