On 9/12/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday 12 September 2006 09:37, Richard Fish wrote:
> That said, arts is still useful for KDE 3.5 if you want sound
> notifications for error popups, login/logout events, etc, as it makes
> notifications perform much much better IME.

As in compiling kdelibs with the arts use flag and then disabling arts in
kcontrol? Or as in actually enabling the arts use flag globally and using
arts? :O

The latter...

I'll have to say I'm a bit curious about how you get to the conclusion that
the latter would be better than the former...

...well I was playing with this last week.  Without arts enabled in
kcontrol, and KDE set to use an external player, I recall having a
noticable delay between when a dialog appeared or other event occurred
and when the sound would play.  With arts enabled and playing sounds
through it, the sounds played almost immediately.

I could be incorrect on this though, as I was having problems with
notifications playing in general, even through artsd (which I
eventually traced to having artsplugin-xine installed _without_
artsplugin-audiofile, which caused artsd to want to play all audio
through xine plugins, and fail with "unable to open file" more often
than not).  Others are welcome to share their experiences with
external players and KDE notifications. ;-)

-Richard