On Wednesday 13 September 2006 03:49, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GenToo (at least the 2006.1 livedvd) is driving me nuts.
> I have tried several installations (more than 6) and they all
> fail by e.g.
> EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge mail-mta/ssmtp
>
> it cannot build a kernel (just copy the kernel on the dvd)
> it cannot build
> EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge
> media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r2
>
> Furthermore I cannot enter the URIs for the ftp-proxie and the
> rsync-proxie. The fields are too short.
> I have been using the command line installer in 'advanced' mode.
>
> So, what can I do?

If you have broadband, then fall back to installing gentoo manually. I have
had nothing but problems, similar t yours, with both the live-cd and
live-dvd. Neither one finished to completion, however, the failed live-dvd
install left just enough system on the target harddrive that I was able to
finish up the install manually.

Who ever thought these live disks were good for installing from... well... it
isn't.

That said, the Knoppix Live-DVD installs flawlessly to hard drives.

Jerry.