Ryan Tandy wrote:
rob wrote:
How do you get power pitten to shutdown and power off Gentoo box????

rob

# emerge sys-power/acpid
# rc-update add acpid default
# /etc/init.d/acpid start

and you're done! The default configuration for acpid includes a handler for the power button event.

HTH.

Just a slight hijacking of this topic,
I have a little EPIA server acting as firewall, npt, dhcp, dns,etc,etc. Now even though it doesn't pull a lot of power, I don't want it running all the time, it has something to do with missing ice caps. So I want to build a button that attaches to the machine via, say, usb that when pushed shuts the machine down. By a button I mean that sort of emergency shutdown button that is usually red and used in industrial control, the sort of thing the hero always has to push to save the heroine/world.

Does anyone here have enough hardware design knowledge to say if this would be easy or not and as to whether I should just lower my sights and stick to the three finger salute or the "normal" on/off switch?

        Regards,
                Andrew

p.s. The main reason driving this is that the wife never turns the server off. If I have a Big Red Switch, I can say "But it has a big red switch, how can you miss it????"