On 9/16/06, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday 16 September 2006 17:36, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the HOWTO, but I've got a problem with ATI.
> I put 'ati' in VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf, but it was not picked
> up in the actual emerge, and now the driver does not exist, as
> reported by startx.

Try VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

Can't try it for the next hour or so, but I have my doubts anyway.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf has, in part

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "ati-internal"
   Driver      "ati"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier  "Screen1"
   Device      "ati-internal"
   Monitor     "Westinghouse"

And that's the only Device section.  Accordingly, I expect startx is going
to continue to expect a driver named "ati".  Which is good, because that's
the kind of video I have on my motherboard.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD