On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Terry Eck wrote:

I've been a SuSE user for several years now currently running 10.0.
I'm interested in giving gentoo a try with the object of converting
from SuSE to gentoo. I've been looking at this list for a couple of
weeks and have determined that there may be a steep learning curve
on my part converting. Any words of advice on getting up to speed
using gentoo before I install it.
One suggestion: get a KNOPPIX CD and install from that
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml)
This way you will have a GUI (KDE) right from the start.

While you have several years of experience with linux, I had a few
months with RH7.3, and only  Apple  (MacOS 8.6) before that. So, if I
could do it...
There was no genkernel then and no graphical installer. Didn't miss any.
The major problem was to configure the kernel from scratch, but I
managed it somehow. Good luck.

--
Jorge Almeida