On Monday 02 October 2006 16:01, Stephen Reynolds wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to gentoo and I just finished a stage 1,2,3 installation,
> and I have followed the gentoo USB howto.
> When I plug-in a usb device no device coming up in /dev directory,
> yet dmesg tell me I have plugged in a mass storage device.
>
> I'm running kernel 2.6.17... please help.

Ah, I wanted to ask about this too. The same thing happens to me. I need
to reboot with the device plugged in, which is a pain. I'd appreciate
an answer as well.

I hope this is not highjacking the thread, because I have the exact same
question..

Mrugesh Karnik
GPG Key 0xBA6F1DA8
Public key on http://wwwkeys.pgp.net