> Anyway, the portage-2.1.2 tracker bug [1] shows you the
> differences between
> portage-2.1.1 and the latest 2.1.2 prerelease. Also a comment
> from zmedico
> (the portage dev who is providing us with all of these new
> features and
> fixes) [2] clearly shows that the change is intended.

Well, if it's intended, then that's all I need to know... :)

> I believe that should answer your questions. You, however,
> haven't answered
> mine. What did you think it should do with --deep without --update?

I'm no expert by any stretch, I just noticed that it was acting different
and as illustrated, I could prove it. Perhaps I misunderstood what --deep
was for. I guess I thought it was the package and any dependencies that
NEEDED upgrade for the package to work. Now it feels like it just pulls in
the other dependencies just because that's what they are. Again, I could be
wrong. I just noticed more stuff being shown than usual, that's all.

DÆVID