On Tuesday 03 October 2006 22:14, Justin Patrin wrote:
> I'm getting this very odd behavior when trying to --update --deep world.
>
> # emerge -atuDv world
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating world dependencies... done!
> [blocks B     ] >=app-admin/eselect-1.0.3 (is blocking
> app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.0.3)
> [nomerge      ] x11-terms/xterm-218  USE="truetype -Xaw3d -paste64
> -toolbar -unicode"
> [nomerge      ]  sys-libs/libutempter-1.1.4.1
> [nomerge      ]   app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r3
> [nomerge      ]    sys-apps/util-linux-2.12r-r4  USE="crypt nls perl
> -old-crypt (-selinux) -static"
> [nomerge      ]     app-crypt/hashalot-0.3-r2
> [ebuild  N    ]      app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.0.3  41 kB
>
> If I'm reading this right, xterm is deeply depending on eselect-opengl
> somehow but eselect is blocking it. Does anyone know why this would
> be?

dependencies are tricky and can usually never be visualized is a straight
line. This outcome is one of several possibilities.

As for the blocking, eselect-1.0.3 has been removed from portage about 2
months ago. And eselect-opengl has been bumped to version 1.0.4 to resolve
the blocking 2 months ago.

I suggest you sync your tree again and emerge the newest releases.
After syncing you should be able to upgrade to eselect-1.0.6 and
eselect-opengl-1.0.4

If you get another eselect blocker after syncing you can unmerge it and
run "emerge - auDv world" again.