On Wednesday 04 October 2006 15:53, Stefán István wrote:
> Yes, I've read it but my filenames are encoded with iso8859-2 (or at least
> I think so), and I dont want to change them to utf-8. At least not yet. How
> can I determine the character encoding of an existing filename?

The whole point of unicode is that you cannot autodetect the encoding of a
filename (or file). With unicode you can use one encoding for everything and
hence you don't have to autodetect it.... You can use app-text/convmv to
convert your file names between two different encodings. If you run it
without the --notest parameter it will only show you what would happen if you
make said conversion. By inspecting the output of that you should be able to
figure it out but I don't think there is any automatic way of doing it...

--
Bo Andresen