On Thursday 05 October 2006 20:22, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:

> thanks for sharing. One question I have - did you run memtest86 or
> something similar at the time? The reason I'm asking - I ran
> memtest86 on this machine and it showed nothing. I'm not entirely
> sure how much I can trust memtest.

I've run memtest86+ a number of times and no errors were shown.  There's a
foolproof test for your *system* as opposed to a memory module.  Try to
search around and look in Google too, in case you find it.  There's
alternative tests to memtest involving running some script (if I remember
right). As I said, whichever test you run you need to make sure that it
exercises your whole memory system (modules, controllers, swap).

Good luck.  :)

PS.  My box would also crash in M$Windoze if the page file was being used
(e.g. manipulating large sections of text or pictures), but not at the
frequency of it crashing under Gentoo with a heavy emerge and updatedb taking
place.
--
Regards,
Mick