On Friday 06 October 2006 12:27, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dvdrip permissions error, alternative?':
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:59:51 -0700, Grant wrote:
> > dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.dvd
>
> That won't work on CSS scrambled discs. You'll copy the scrambled data
> but not the key.

That's not true.  The CSS key is in the standard filesystem data, not in
some subtrack data.  Before I found dvdbackup I used the method (with a
few modifications, like the conv=noerror option and adding a call to 'pv'
in the pipline to give myself a progress bar) exclusively and rarely ran
into a disk that had issues.  Those disks could be ripped with k3b's copy
DVD image... function, which I guess uses the equivalent of cd-paranoia
for DVDs, and also retries errors (like conv=noerror), but still just
gives a .iso as output.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest