On Wednesday 11 October 2006 08:26, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
> Maybe I meant reverse dependency. Not sure.  I want to know what depends
> on a particular package so that I can decide whether I can delete it or
> not.

Yes, that's reverse dependencies.

The portage way is to see if it shows up on emerge --depclean --pretend. If it
doesn't then you have something in your world file that depends on it. If the
package itself is in your world file then the best solution is to simply
remove it manually by editing /var/lib/portage/world and then run --depclean
to see if anything keeps it...

I know of three programs that can show reverse deps for a repository (rather
than just your installed packages: dep from app-portage/udept, adjutrix from
sys-apps/paludis and pquery from sys-apps/pkgcore.

--
Bo Andresen