On 10/11/06, Daniel Pielmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
Which is normal because an up to date system doesn't have to download
anything. But when i add the emptytree option "emerge -pveuND world" i
get this (output reduced):

> emerge -pveuND world

> Calculating world dependencies  ..... ....... done!
> [ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/binutils    [2.16.1-r3]    USE="nls
> -multislot -multitarget -test -vanilla" 109 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] net-dialup/ppp        [2.4.3-r16]    USE="gtk ipv6
> pam -activefilter -atm -dhcp -eap-tls -mppe-mppc -radius" 55 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 164 kB

So why are there appearing some apps now for which portage has to
download something? Using eix on sys-devel/binutils and net-dialup/ppp
tells me that i have exactly those ebuilds listed above installed.

I think that there have been made changes to this ebuild without
increasing the version number. For example binutils from 2.16.1-r3 to
2.16.1-r4. So portage doesn't upgrade this package although there have
been changes. Or is there a portage option i don't know until now which
i have to use for getting this apps updated. Am i guessing right in any
of this cases or is this another problem with portage?

Actually, with the 'emptytree' option, it should be trying to rebuild
everything in your 'world' set along with the dependancies using their
current versions and use flags.  I'm guessing that the odd behavior is
because you're using it in conjunction with 'uND'.  'Update' and
'newuse' go against part of what 'emptytree' does, and 'emptytree' is
as 'deep' as it gets. :)

--
Trey